Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I may have it figured out

I am not a morning person.

Really. I'm not. It's bad.

Every morning my wonderful husband gets up, gets in the shower, wakes me up and we go downstairs and have coffee. I wish I was bright eyed and bushy tailed and made him breakfast and chatted with him about interesting things. But I don't. I can barely string a sentence together and I'm unusually ungaurded about my words... so that can be interesting.

When he leaves, I walk him to the door, give him a hug, wave goodbye and shut and lock the door behind me. I go back to the couch and finish my coffee. Then it varies what I do. Sometimes I do some chores, sometimes I read a bit, sometimes I just watch the news.

But that's my time. And I think that's a major reason why I look at the clock and get tears in my eyes knowing that I have to get dressed for work. I am very rarely alone, not that that is a bad thing, it's not. I've chosen to be very involved, and I love it.

But sometimes I like being alone. I get things done much quicker because I don't get distracted. I don't have to share the remote, I don't have to get out of my pajamas if I don't want to, I can eat cookies for lunch. I can dance and sing. I can do whatever, because that's my time. It's the only time I've got.

And I'm really recharged by being alone. I can journal, I can pray, I can reflect. It's hard to do that when you're always busy. And I need to make it a point to be alone for a while... maybe an extended alone period... like a whole day! I really think it would make me appreciate being busy again.

Any tips for carving out alone time?

1 comment:

  1. I love to soak in the bathtub, till the water turns cold!

    Thanks for following my blog- nice to "meet" another blogger.

    ReplyDelete