Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Honesty

My church home, Seacoast, is currently studying the book of Acts. We just began two weeks ago with the study, and I'm looking forward to learning more about the early church. Most specifically about how God used these ordinary people who were committed to Jesus' commands and the Lord's plan for the church.

In small group this week, we were sharing about how masks that Christians wear affect true community. The community described in the first two chapters of Acts. The games that people play, and by people I mean me too, trying to appear better than we are have always fascinated me. I try to be authentic with people, even sometimes dodging the "How are you?" that is polite to ask here in the south following a greeting.

This mask talk has made me think. My favorite websites to visit are fmylife.com and postsecret.blogspot.com. Why? People are honest. Sometimes too much so... ha! It doesn't create true community, because it's anonymous, but people say things that they hide deep dark inside. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to write to them.

Even saying things like, "I'm angry" or "I'm so discouraged, I feel like giving up on life." Why are we hesitant to share these things? Aren't we called to live in community with other believers? Doesn't this include the good and the bad parts of our lives? Are we commanded to just live a polite, glossed-over, smothered existence? I don't think we are.

There are some people in my life that I am comfortable being who I am, struggling with what I struggle with and being honest. Why is it that those relationships are few?

So, what are we afraid of? What are we trying to keep hidden that needs to be brought to light and committed to the Lord?

No comments:

Post a Comment