Friday, September 25, 2009

Embarrassing story

For some reason, I've been thinking today about a couple of incidents for which I have been ruthlessly mocked in my time. Both of which make me laugh hysterically now, so I thought I'd share one.

Timeline: circa 1999 AD
Location: Clayton NC
Occasion: camping trip with small youth group to Carowinds
A group of about 10-15 were gathered, packing up a 15 passenger van with tents, sleeping bags, coleman stove, etc. We kids were giddy with the anticipation of spending a whole weekend with our friends. You could feel the tension of crushes in the air, the smell of packed doritoes for the drive. It was a promising time.

The adults were focused on ensuring that we had brought everything needed for the trip, checking lists like Santa. Dinner that evening was to be spaghetti, always an inexpensive dinner and lets face it, tough to screw up. Large pot: check, strainer: check, spaghetti noodles: check, parmesan cheese: check, Ragu: check, plates and untensils: check!

We circled to pray for a fun time and safe travels. All of us joined hands, which as you know is the holiest way to pray, and as we were about to bow our heads the youth leader chimed, "Did we pack the steaks?" My reply, "I thought we were having spaghetti."



Deafening silence.



Hysterical laughter.



Reddening face.



Someone finally says, "He meant the tent stakes."

Evidently to kill my pride with.

No comments:

Post a Comment