Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Encouragement

There are some days I just want to give up the life I'm trying to live in pursuit of the Savior.

I've been struggling with my Hulk-like sin nature frequently lately. It's big, it's bad, it's me... That's who I am, apart from my Jesus. Even if I have every 'right' to be angry or annoyed, I must let Christ live through me. I must repackage my inner monster. (Insert Michael Scott joke here...)

I have prayed so often for the Lord to change me, to use me, no matter what must happen, where I must live, what I must leave behind. So, the Lord is answering my prayers. He's teaching me patience. He's teaching me love. He's teaching me about true peace.

No matter how many times I have to fight back the hulk, I won't change my prayer. One day, these small things won't ruffle my feathers at all. And all the praise will be God's!

I'm going to copy out some of the verses that have helped me over the course of the last month or so, and I'm going to encourage anyone who has a verse that they cling to to share theirs as well.

Proverbs 19:23 - The fear of the Lord leads to life, then one rests content, untouched by trouble.

Ephesians 6:7 - Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men.

Luke 6:45 - A good person produces good deeds from a good heart, and an evil person produces evil things from an evil heart. Whatever is in your heart determines what you say.

Proverbs 28:18 - There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off.

Philippians 1:6 - And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.

Psalm 73:26 - My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever!

1 comment:

  1. a verse I have posted on my bathroom mirror reminds me daily to be humble, and give God the reigns, so to speak...

    "Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You're not in the driver's seat—I am. Don't run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I'll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What good would it do to get everything you want and lose you, the real you? If any of you is embarrassed with me and the way I'm leading you, know that the Son of Man will be far more embarrassed with you when he arrives in all his splendor in company with the Father and the holy angels" The Message, Luke 9:23-27

    ReplyDelete